We’re looking for a builder.
Since opening our doors two and a half years ago, the Seva Food Bank has created a community of clients, volunteers, donors and staff. Each month, we are honoured to receive over 300 families to whom we provide over 25,000 pounds of food and a variety of support services. We have over 100 active volunteers, most under the age of 21, who continuously inspire us with their commitment and contributions. Our volunteer board is made of young professionals who provide not only strategic direction to the organization but also roll up their sleeves to regularly serve our clients. We are financially supported by leading foundations and literally thousands of businesses and individuals from around the world who have invested hundreds of thousands of their philanthropic dollars with us. Finally we have two tireless staff members who have chosen to align their careers and livelihoods with our organization. We are a Sikh-inspired organization but we’re delighted that our clients, volunteers and staff are as diverse as the community we live in.
Now the Seva Food Bank is growing and we need your leadership.
We have been presented with the opportunity to expand our footprint and offer our services to another community in Mississauga. While this community has a deep history and great potential, it currently faces significant social and economic challenges. The community needs more than just a traditional food bank.
Opening in early 2014, the Seva Community Hub and Food Centre(tentative name) will provide a physical space for individuals, families and organizations to collaborate on new initiatives and deliver programs that address the challenges of food security, poverty reduction and economic renewal:
- Food Security – We will provide a consistent supply of safe, healthy, nutritious and culturally appropriate food to families in need in the local community.
- Poverty Reduction – We will empower our client families to address the root causes of their poverty by providing navigational support through the social services agency network (including through partnerships with leading agencies).
- Economic Renewal – We will create a hub of activity and collaboration that engages members of the community to create initiatives that improve its economic, social and cultural fabric of the residents of Mississauga.
We are looking for an individual to lead us on the journey. We require an Executive Director who will facilitate the development and execution of our new vision and strategy. While planning for our expansion is already underway, we need a quarterback to take charge of our process:
- Exploration (Q2 2013) – Understand key needs in community (for food security and beyond), current organizational capacity to deliver social services and where gaps remain that could be opportunities for Seva
- Planning (Q3 2013) – Develop a medium-term operating model with timelines and implementation plans that cover programming, funding, staffing and partnerships. Engage key organizations and individuals to collaboratively work with us to co-create the vision and operating model for the community hub
- Building (Q4 2013) – Build out physical space, recruit and train staff and volunteers and finalize Day One programming and partnerships
- Launch (Q1 2014) – Open door to clients and initiate first wave of additional programming
They will do this as they also lead our staff and volunteers, spark community resource development, support program delivery at our current Wolfedale Rd location and serve as an external spokesperson.
So beyond the usual qualifications (listed below), we need someone who is a(n):
- Institution Builder – Has a track record of successfully translating a vision into a fully realized sustainable impactful reality
- Leader and Manager – Has recruited, motivated, and managed high-performing teams
- Systems Thinker - Has the ability to understand the greater context, is a master of managing relationships and relishes the complexities of running a modern non-profit
- Passionate Advocate – Strongly committed to fighting hunger and poverty in our community
The Seva Food Bank currently provides safe, nutritious and culturally-appropriate food to low- income families of all backgrounds living in Mississauga’s L5B and L5C postal codes. An initiative of Sikhs Serving Canada, a registered charitable not-for-profit organization, our mission is to positively impact our local communities by acting on the basic Sikh tenets of sarbat da bhalla (the well being of all) and seva (selfless service). We welcome volunteers and serve clients from all faiths, backgrounds, and cultures.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Be inspired by Seva’s vision, values and culture, including emphases on community, diversity, collaboration, innovation and impact.
- Have an ability to mobilize people and teams to take action and achieve results
- Thrive in and are interested in leading a collaborative work environment
- Have strong management skills, with a successful track record in attracting and retaining top talent and building a solid team.
- Proven ability to work positively and constructively with funders, Board, staff and volunteers
- Have a demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to organizational development, funding and programming
- Be a passionate social entrepreneur, able to innovate and adapt quickly
- Have quantitative success at growing an organization, optimizing resources/resource allocation, controlling costs, strategic planning and implementing creative solutions.
- Proven successful experience drafting, managing and presenting operating finances
- Five or more years experience in the not-for-profit sector with a Board of Directors
- Verified exceptional oral and written communications skills, and ability to speak passionately in public
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle.
- Fluency in multiple languages is definite asset.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all financial, program, fundraising and administrative aspects. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Facilitates the work of Seva’s Board, staff and volunteers so as to maintain a positive and rewarding work environment.
- Manages day-to-day office operations efficiently and effectively
- Successfully manages the financial health of the organization including the endowment fund, payroll and day-to-day operating budgets
- Directs and evaluates the effectiveness of Seva’s operations, including personnel management and progress with implementing the strategic plan.
- Prepares and delivers annual reports to the Board, members, and external stakeholders to maintain ongoing support for Seva.
- Proposes policies for Board of Directors’ approval; administer approved policies
Marketing & Communications
- Is a passionate spokesperson for the organization and ensures all messages to the public reflect our mission
- Cultivates and maintains excellent relationships with all types of media
- Communicates with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the Foundation and to identify changes in the community served by the Foundation
- Develops a communications strategy and ensures the quality of all communication materials, including the website, electronic and print materials.
- In partnership with the Board, develops annual plans and implements fundraising programs for annual giving, endowment giving, planned giving, grants and sponsorships, and explores new fundraising opportunities.
- Oversee all existing programs and developing new programs that meet the organization’s growing mandate
- Continually evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of all Seva programs and recommend/effect change and/or improvements as appropriate.
- Ensures all current legal, health and safety standards are met.
- Successfully manages and monitors the organization’s financial health including payroll and operating budgets.
- Engages stakeholders in the program and activities of the organization to encourage participation, donations and advocacy on behalf of Seva’s goals
- Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the Foundation.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
While Seva Food Bank (and Sikhs Serving Canada) is a faith-inspired organization, we enthusiastically encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Depending on experience, salary will be between $65,000 – $75,000 a year, including a generous vacation package, professional development, a great team to work with, and a flexible work environment.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday August 2nd, 2013. All attachments must in PDF format and each document must be labeled with the applicant’s full name.
In your cover letter, please help us understand why you’re the ideal candidate by addressing the following questions:
- What interests you most about this position?
- Based on the qualifications, why are you a strong candidate?
- What excites you about working in food security?
- Provide insights into your management style.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in this position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.