Executive Director Role Profile
Since opening our doors six years ago, Seva Food Bank has created a community of clients, volunteers, donors and staff. Each month, we are honoured to receive over 800 families to whom we provide over 70,000 pounds of food and a variety of support services. We operate from two locations in Mississauga with a small, committed staff team. These locations are hubs of energy and collaboration for the community.
We have over 150 active volunteers, most under the age of 25, who continuously inspire us with their commitment and contributions. Our volunteer board is made of young professionals who provide not only strategic direction to the organization but also roll up their sleeves to regularly serve our clients. We are financially supported by leading foundations and literally thousands of businesses and individuals from around the world who have invested hundreds of thousands of their philanthropic dollars with us. Not least of all, we have four tireless staff members who have chosen to align their careers and livelihoods with our organization.
The Seva Food Bank is growing and we need your expertise. We are looking for a leader and innovator, with a passion for making an impact on their community.
The Seva Food Bank provides safe, nutritious and culturally-appropriate food to low- income families of all backgrounds living in Mississauga. An initiative of Sikhs Serving Canada, a registered charity, our mission is to positively impact our local communities by acting on the basic Sikh tenets of sarbat da bhalla (the well-being of all) and seva (selfless service). We are a Sikh-inspired organization however we are delighted that our clients, volunteers and staff are as diverse as the community we live in.
OUR STRATEGIC STATEMENTS
SIKHS SERVING CANADA
Vision – A society in which the inherent divinity and sovereignty of every individual is recognized and cultivated so that each person is able to fulfill their true potential.
Mission – Launch and manage a portfolio of initiatives that mobilizes the goodwill of Canadians to address the needs of our local communities.
SEVA FOOD BANK
Mandate – Coordinate and deliver programs that improve the food security needs of our clients and support clients in their journey to self-reliance by addressing the root causes of their hunger.
Goal – That all people living in the communities we serve have access to a culturally appropriate and personally acceptable supply of food.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
You are a(n):
Institution Builder – You have a track record of successfully translating a vision into a fully realized sustainable and impactful reality
Leader and Manager – You have recruited, motivated, and managed high-performing teams
Systems Thinker – You have the ability to understand the greater context within which a non-profit organization functions, are a master of managing relationships and relish the complexities of running a modern non-profit organization
Passionate Advocate – You are strongly committed to fighting hunger and poverty in the community
Natural Fundraiser – You are able to weave together the art and science of fundraising to ensure Seva has a strong financial foundation for growth
More specifically, you will:
- Be inspired by the Seva vision, values and culture, including emphasis on community, diversity, collaboration, innovation and impact.
- Have an ability to mobilize people and teams to take action and achieve results
- Thrive in and be interested in leading a collaborative work environment
- Have proven ability to work positively and constructively with funders, Board, staff and volunteers
- Be able to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that mobilizes Seva’s many supporters to monetize the significant goodwill we have in the community
- Have a demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to organizational development, funding and programming with an ability to innovate and adapt quickly to a constantly changing environment
- Have quantitative success at growing an organization, optimizing resources/resource allocation, controlling costs, strategic planning and implementing creative solutions
- Demonstrate proven experience drafting, managing and presenting operating finances
- Have five or more years of experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Have exceptional oral and written communications skills, and an ability to speak passionately in public
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to own vehicle
- Fluency in multiple languages, especially South Asian (Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu), is a definite asset
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all financial, program, fundraising and administrative aspects of Seva. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Operations & Administration
- Manage day-to-day office operations efficiently and effectively
- Facilitate the work of Seva’s Board, staff and volunteers to deliver on short and long term goals while fostering a positive and rewarding work environment
- Ensure all current legal, health and safety standards are met in the workplace
- Work with Board to ensure it is fully informed, engaged and providing appropriate oversight and direction to the organization
- In partnership with the Board, work with staff and volunteers to develop ongoing fundraising strategies for major gifts, annual/monthly giving, endowment giving, planned giving, events, grants and sponsorships
- Responsible for the execution of fundraising strategy
- Personally lead grant writing process and solicitation of major donors (with board)
- Oversee the main food delivery program and develop new programs that address the food security needs of our clients, including the causes and consequences of hunger
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of all Seva programs and provide innovative recommendations for improvements as appropriate
- Engage stakeholders in the programs and activities of the organization to encourage participation, donations and advocacy for the organization
- Ensure the sound financial management of the organization through implementation of appropriate financial processes, controls and reporting
- Review and confirm tax filings are completed in a timely manner, including Charitable Information Returns
- Prepare and deliver annual reports to the Board, members, and external stakeholders
Marketing & Communications
- Take the lead as a passionate spokesperson for the organization and communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed and engaged with Seva
- Develop communications and marketing strategies, including maintenance and updates to the Seva website, electronic and print materials
- Design and build organization, team (staff and volunteers), systems, processes and tools to support organization’s mandate and goals
- Establish excellent working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
While Seva Food Bank (and Sikhs Serving Canada) is a faith-inspired organization, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your cover letter and resume to hr AT sevafoodbank.com by 5pm on Friday, May 26th, 2017. All attachments must in PDF format and each document must be labeled with the applicant’s full name. Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in this position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.