Job Description For Volunteer and Staff Engagement Coordinator
The Seva Food Bank provides safe, nutritious and culturally appropriate food to low- income families in Mississauga through our Wolfedale Rd and Malton locations. An initiative of Sikhs Serving Canada, a registered not-for-profit organization, our mission is to positively impact local communities by acting on the basic Sikh tenets of sarbat da bhalla (the well being of all) and seva (selfless service). We serve clients and welcome volunteers from all faiths, backgrounds, and cultures.
This Volunteer and Staff Engagement Coordinator’s key objective will be to create meaningful and engaging experiences for the individuals who choose to dedicate their time and services to the Seva Food Bank.
a) Volunteer Engagement (80%)
- Design and coordination of the entire volunteer cycle (including needs assessment, recruitment, screening, orientation, placement, training, recognition and evaluation).
- Develop an annual recruitment plan to meet the needs of the organization.
- Identify and pursue potential volunteer recruitment opportunities within the local community, including in diverse communities.
- Supervise volunteers during client shifts as per staff schedule.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment for fundraising events.
- Lead the development and delivery of volunteer training materials.
- Develop system to retain volunteer records (profiles, scheduling and recording hours)
- Help ensure volunteer records are up-to-date and accurate through data entry or by training others in data entry (while adhering to confidentiality and privacy policies)
- Lead the planning of a volunteer appreciation program to meet the various recognition preferences identified by volunteers.
- Develop relationships with local organizations (schools, youth groups, corporate groups, seniors groups) to expand support base for the Seva Food Bank (including volunteer partnerships)
- Work in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations as well as all other applicable legislation (including Human Rights Code).
- Liaise with other Coordinators and all Managers on the scheduling of volunteers.
- Plans, arranges and presides over monthly Volunteer meetings.
- Produces and edits Volunteer newsletter.
- Other related duties as assigned by Supervisor.
b) Staff Engagement (20%)
- Support Executive Director to coordinate the full Human Resources cycle – recruitment, selection, compensation and benefits, orientation, management of personnel files, training and development, policies and procedures, legislative compliance and employee relations.
Hours and Location:
- 40 hours a week including weeknights and weekends
- Based out of Malton location but frequent travel between Wolfedale and Malton locations and across Peel Region
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Competitive benefits program
- 2 weeks vacation (and Christmas to New Years break)
- Staff development opportunities
- Strong sense of commitment to SFB’s mission and values.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in volunteer management and human resources
- Post secondary education in a related field (preferably Volunteer Program Management or Human Resources)
- Ability to develop and maintain new and existing relationships with volunteers, staff and corporate partners through oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with groups and delivering presentations
- General office and management skills including computer skills, people skills, planning and organizing aptitude, and leadership.
- Demonstrated experience exercising good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on various tasks simultaneously
- A Criminal Records Check is required
- Must hold a valid Ontario driver’s license with a clean driving record and have access to a vehicle.
- Additional spoken languages an asset, especially Punjabi, Arabic, and Spanish.
- Executive Director
How to Apply:
- Please submit the following by Friday April 18th to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter answering these questions:
- What excites you most about volunteer management?
- Why do you want to work at a Food Bank?
- 3 references
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those to be invited for an interview will be contacted. Sikhs Serving Canada Association of Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in building an inclusive, accessible and barrier-free workplace – that supports all employees to reach their full potential. We encourage all those who qualify for this position to apply.