Seva Food Bank is looking to hire a full-time Client Program Coordinator who will be responsible for managing all of our client services at our Wolfedale Rd and Malton locations. This includes client‐case management, client programming and community outreach. The Client Program Coordinator will play a critical role in ensuring the success of Seva by addressing the root causes and consequences of poverty in Mississauga. Given the hours of our client serving shifts, this position will require work on weeknights and occasionally weekends.
Seva Food Bank is a young and dynamic organization with leaders who are committed to continued growth, innovation and community building. They have a vision that is growth oriented and forward thinking. The role is a great fit for someone who is interested in building, leading and growing an organization and has a passion for alleviating poverty. They will dedicate themselves to making it easier for people in need to access (and prepare) safe, healthy, nutritious, culturally appropriate and personally acceptable food.
About Seva Food Bank:
The Seva Food Bank provides safe, nutritious and culturally-appropriate food to low-income families of all backgrounds living in Mississauga. Their mandate is to coordinate and deliver programs that improve the food needs of their clients and support them in their journey to self-reliance by addressing the root causes of hunger.
An initiative of Sikhs Serving Canada, a registered charity, the mission is to positively impact local communities by acting on the basic Sikh tenets of sarbat da bhalla (the well-being of all) and seva (selfless service). Seva Food Bank is a client-centric organization that focuses on bringing dignity in the way they serve food to their client families.
Since opening their doors seven years ago, Seva Food Bank has created a community of clients, volunteers, donors and staff. Each month over 800 families receive over 70,000 pounds of food and a variety of support services. Fifty percent of those receiving food are children and youth. Seva operates from two locations in Mississauga with a small, committed staff team. These locations are hubs of energy and collaboration for the community.
Our Ideal Candidate Is A:
- Leader and Manager – You have motivated, coordinated and managed high‐performing teams of staff and volunteers.
- Systems Thinker ‐ You are data‐driven and evidence‐based in your thinking, and understand the greater context within which food banks operate to address the causes and consequences of food insecurity.
- Passionate Advocate– You have an understanding of the social determinants of health and use this knowledge to help fight poverty in the community and support clients in their journey to self‐reliance.
- People Person ‐ You engage with others from a place of understanding empathy.
- Self Starter ‐ You go the extra mile to make things happen and deliver results.
A) Food Bank Operations
- Supervise client shifts at both food bank sites to ensure clients receive appropriate quality and quantity of food in a respectful manner
- Ensure effective systems in place to record, evaluate and report on key programming metrics. Includes managing Link2Feed client management system
- Manage and improve Client Intake & Assessment Process (i.e. videos, materials)
- Create client appropriate content in required languages as needed
- Manage of students from placement programs from local post‐secondary institutions, including selection, supervision and evaluation
- Support delivery of Volunteer Training & Development
- Manage community partner outreach during client shifts
- Work to ensure 100% of clients receive 7-10 days of food with each visit and all food is safe, healthy, nutritious and culturally appropriate
B) Client Programming
- Understand client needs in our community through a variety of methods (i.e. client stories, focus groups, surveys, interviews)
- Design, execute and evaluate evidence-based client programs that address causes and consequences of food insecurity. Ensure programming is data‐driven and driving positive change for clients
- Collaborate with volunteer‐led Programming Committee to develop and manage well‐rounded portfolio of client programming
- Ensure clients are provided with information and support to navigate their way through network of social service agencies
- Manage and expand Client Navigation Program (i.e. warm referrals to other agencies)
- Supervise and expand support for Home Delivery Program (e.g. ridealong agency partners). Test and update logic model.
- Design and launch programming to promote health literacy and cooking skills in our Community Teaching Kitchen
- Manage Emergency Response for families in crisis
- Develop Culture Strategy to better serve clients of different backgrounds
- Support Client Appreciation events
- Coordinate launch of Harm Reduction Pilot Program
C) External Communications, Partnerships and Advocacy
- Be the first point of contact for referral agencies, clients and family members seeking assistance from Seva
- Support fundraising efforts (i.e. grant applications, events) to ensure continued funding for client programs
- Ensure partner agencies are well informed about Seva’s programs to provide pipeline of client referrals
- Develop partnerships with external agencies to design and deliver one‐time and ongoing programs for clients at Seva and other locations
- Advocate for progressive public policies by representing Seva and our clients in multi‐stakeholder forums
- Participate in producing and sharing relevant content and stories on social media
- Strong sense of commitment to Seva’s mission and values
- Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in a related field
- Prior supervisory experience
- General office and management skills including computer skills, people skills, planning and organizing aptitude, and leadership
- Must hold a valid Ontario driver’s license and have access to a vehicle
- 3+ years of prior experience with nonprofit social services agencies
- Prior experience working with vulnerable communities
- Experience in program development
- Additional spoken languages considered an asset, especially Punjabi, Arabic, and Spanish
- Food Handlers Certificate and CPR training considered an asset
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Seva Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.